Sunday, April 24, 2011

A trunkful of diabetes... an Easter full of smiles

Easter Sunday and I feel compelled to write something profound, inspirational. I'm not sure if this counts, but it made my day.
Today I watched Sarah be a kid, all day. She's eleven, so she's always a kid. But today for some reason it struck me how innocent she is, and how carefree she is, even given the challenge of her diabetes.

She was THRILLED to wake up this morning and find an Easter basket waiting for her. She plowed through, enjoying every part of her surprise. After the basket was emptied, she scurried around the house hunting (plastic) Easter eggs with her sister (such a good sport, at 20). The smile on her face was the truest, most beautiful thing I've ever seen - and it lasted the entire day!

After the egg hunt, she really wanted to decorate eggs - which we didn't have time for yesterday. So we boiled eggs and she and her sister got extra creative and used crayons to write messages on the eggs, and then tie dyed them in a variety of bright colors, adding stickers for extra pizazz.

She measured milk, sugar, cream and vanilla and helped me to make our first batch of homemade ice cream (which was magically delicious by the way).

All day we checked her blood sugar probably at least every two hours, but somehow the experiences seemed lost as soon as they were over, and I found myself almost forgetting about the diabetes for a time as I just enjoyed watching my beautiful daughter's smile.

At grammy's house she got another Easter basket, including a fun little coloring book, and she made this for me.

After dinner, with only a little prodding, she sang several songs for us including Button up Your Overcoat, Where is Love, Cockeyed Optimist, I Enjoy Being a Girl, and I Whistle a Happy Tune. She danced and sang and acted out her parts.

All in all we had a great day, as we often do, and diabetes sat in the trunk with a gag over his mouth and instructions to keep QUIET. We gave him potatoes. We gave him french fries. We gave him ice cream and chocolate. But he sat quietly and behaved through it all - and let my Sarah have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Love to hear about all the fun everyone had on Easter :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!